Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cyborgs, Explants & Hybrids

When we were discussing Hayles today, we spent a bit of the discussion on the last page which is about hybrids, implants, and explants. I remembered a segment from 60 Minutes on April 12, 2009 about prosthetic arms that are so technologically advanced, they move like real arms and even use the nerves in what's left of the arm to "think."
This technology is being developed for the soldiers returning from war who are amputees. If you have the time to watch it, watch all the way till the end. It will completely amaze you to see such a true-- and in this case, wonderful "cyborg" development. This is a great example of not hurdling into a cyborg infested future in which we will all be destroyed or plugged into the "Matrix" (although, if I were plugged into the Matrix I'm not sure I would know the difference). If the future is anything like this report, then I'm thrilled to live in a time where man and machine intertwine. I wonder if Turing ever imagined something like this!
I've cried every time I've watched it. I hope you enjoy it as well.


Watch CBS Videos Online

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great video, Summer. Thanks for sharing it. I think one other thing is worth mentioning to (from the conversation between the reporter and the military officer being interviewed): the concept that one's "humanity" can be partially restored through inanimate machinery (or, rather, the relationship between that person and the machinery).

    ReplyDelete